Wednesday 14 December 2011

To the one I love....

So today is a happy but sad day. Mine and Chris' 1 year anniversary. 1 whole year being with the most amazing man ever to have come in contact with. But being away in India and not able to spend it with him. He is my rock and the love of my life. The only good thing to come out of working at Sainsbury's! I knew there must have been a good reason for working there 2 years! Our first bit of contact was when I was collecting the trolley's in the blowing wind and rain; he was laughing at me, so I told him to 'not say a word'. The next time was when we were out in the warehouse and he was unloading a lorry whilst I was putting away empty dvd boxes. I told him his machine was loud... he gave me the look as if to say '.....yes....and....' We have had many moments like this since, I state the obvious or say something silly and he just looks at me confused and agrees. From then on everything just fell into place. We exchanged numbers and talked all the time. And before we knew it it was official. I was his and he was mine. From then on every day with him has been amazing. He is the kindest, gentlest, sweetest man, he is the most special person in my life and I love him with all my heart. He puts up with my stupidity and clumsiness and accepts me for me. Not many people would be willing to do that! (Trust me). Thank you Chris Albones for loving me for a whole year, I hope the rest of the years of my life are spent with you, you make me the happiest girl in the world. 

Me and Chris <3


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So since my last post quite a lot has happened. I have almost been attacked by an army of cockroaches (after being told its unlikely I would see them here.... pffffffffft), I have had parcels and letters from family and friends, A surprise Christmas parcel from Miss Rachel Willicott which was so exciting to receive!! I posted a parcel home, found a shop that sold (an Indian version of) strawberry laces, went to a very swanky restaurant for a meal, experienced the Muharram festival, bought my first sari for Christmas (Blue and red and very sparkly, can't wait to wear it!!), spent sports day at the school (forgot my camera-gutted), went to a Christmas play- Christmas according to scrooge- at Assemblies of God church, getting in the mood for Christmas! Tried out some Kolkata deserts from the road side (yum!),  went out for a meal with Kari, an American lady we have spent a lot of time with here, it was her last day on Friday so we had a good bye meal. Went on our first cycle rickshaw (now my favourite way of getting around), tried more street food- (I thought I would lose weight in India, then I was introduced to egg rolls.) I even murdered the queen pomegranate. 

The Queen.

Uh oh!

Crime scene!

We had a busy day at Freeset on Monday. Devotions there are in Bengali  so we couldn't understand, but afterwards they were briefly translated for us and basically some of the ladies working there are going back to the trade, and some are doing both. One young girl there piped up quite annoyed and said that she gets more money in the trade and stuff. Its so sad that people will still go back to that even with the amazing hope and freedom they have through Freeset. After that we went and checked out another couple of projects similar to Freeset, Analogics and ConneXions, which both make beautiful things out of recycled sari's. Like journals, blankets, bags, cushion covers, baby slings, pencil cases ect, the list goes on and they are all so beautiful. We then went to Kali's temple. We didn't go inside but it was really interesting to hear all about it. Kali is the goddess of death and destruction and she is the goddess over Kolkata, they pray to her when they want to cause pain or death on someone. Its all really quite dark stuff. 

Other sad news: A guy jumped in front of a train so we couldn't get on the metro, and that same day we found out a lady from Freeset drank poison because of an argument she had with her husband. We thought she would be fine but 2 days later she died. Really sad time a Freeset so prayer for this would be greatly appreciated. 

Today was spent going to see William Carey's theological college in Serempore. It was interesting to see where all this BMS stuff started, he was an amazing man! However, for me, this wasn't the most exciting part of the day. We traveled by train to Serempore. It is exactly how it is in the movies. The trains have no doors and people literally do just hang off the sides. I thought this the perfect opportunity to try it for myself!! 

Look at me go. A true Indian.

You should try it for yourself some time.

So there's a very quick update for you. And a little love story to start it all off.  

I love you Chris Albones. Happy anniversary darling.

Harriet x

No comments:

Post a Comment