Saturday 22 October 2011

The day India rained more then England.

I guess I will begin at the beginning.. Thats usually what happens. 
We started our day going to the Victoria Memorial Hall which is quite famous here in Kolkata. The house and the gardens are so beautiful. 


After going inside to look around (spending lots of time in the air conditioned room, reading most of the painting descriptions just so we could stay cool!) we went out into the gardens to have a walk and a look around, we then sat across the lake and admired the hall. 


Then all of a sudden, It started to rain. And it rained for 40 days, and 40 nights... Juuust Kidding! But it sure did feel like it.


We sheltered under a tree hoping it would soon pass, we were greatly mistaken. The rain got heavier and heavier, the small tree we were under soon wasn't much of a shelter at all, so we made a run for the next one which looked a bit bigger, it was no better, the rain was so hard the trees couldn't even be bothered to fight against it. 



We stood for what seemed like an eternity, contemplating what our next move should be. The Hall was really far off (as you can see from the photo) and that was the only form of shelter around. There was a bigger tree a small run across the road but we couldn't decide if we would get more wet by standing where we were, or running across the path. It went from rain, to monsoon, to storm. By this time, we were pretty much as wet as we could be. You know, the 'water dripping off the end of your nose' kind of wet.. Where there is no hope of getting any drier. So we decided to take our shoes off, and walk to the entrance to try and get a taxi back. Luckily one let us in, charged us double the amount and more but we weren't going to complain as it was near 1pm when the one way system changes so he had to go the long way round, and we were so wet we were just grateful he let us in, and we wanted to get home! 


Home sweet home!! And this is when we had dried off a bit!! (note the Salwar Kamiz's me and Ellen are wearing! Pretty sweet! And these were just the cheap ready made ones!) 

The dye from my bag ran all over Ellens scarf that was wrapped around it for extra protection for my camera, and on my top! I think its pretty much come out but me and Ellen both have dyed underwear! Getting soaked through was worth it just for the comic value!

After drying off and having something to eat (no warming up needed, it was still fairly warm through all the rain) we headed back out again (the rain had stopped and the heat dried it up quite fast). We walked to the tailors to pick up our newly fitted and made Salwar Kamiz's, and on the way we saw a hearse.. But the wording was not quite as subtle or sympathetic as I was expecting....


Made me giggle though!! After stepping over a dead dog, a dead rat, and a pile of poo, we eventually made it to the tailors. Our Salwar Kamiz's are beautiful. So delicate. I have no photos yet but we are planning to wear our best ones to church tomorrow, so I will be sure to get a photo then. 

We start school on Monday so we have been planning lessons today. Doing 4 lessons a week is going to be quite stressful, it took us long enough to plan one! We are all quite nervous as we don't really know what to expect, but hopefully after a few days there we will get used to it. We have all heard good things about the children, so it should be good fun. 
Its Diwali on Wednesday, the festival of light. I can't wait, its going to be beautiful. We will celebrate it on the terrace with candles and sparklers. We were warned not to go out on the streets as people like to drink a lot, like New Year, and its safer to stay on the roof. 

 I think thats about it- quite impressive for one day! But as usual, heres a few more photos to enjoy :)

School trip to the Victoria Memorial

Our little friend

Ladies sat by the lake.

Man sweeping the floor... pretty self explanatory. 

So here's a bit of a spiritual input which has been on my mind for the past few days. As you would expect with coming to a place like this, there is a lot of poverty, and hunger and need. People crying out to you on the streets for food and money, and we are almost forced to just walk on by. I want to help all of them, I want to take them in my arms and bring them to a safe place. I want to show them Jesus and show them there is hope. I want to feed them and shelter them. But I can't. I have to just walk  on by, as if they're not even there. I always flash them a friendly smile when I can, but its not enough. I know you're thinking 'through God anything is possible' but its not always that simple. There is so much in the bible about the poor. Proverbs 14:31 says 'He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.' Proverbs 21:13 says 'if a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered'. In Micah 6:8 it says 'He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.' How can I do this? Everyone says you can't give to the people because they will know you give and always ask for more. And I don't have much to give. AHH! I'm also reading Romans at the moment and it says somewhere there that you should knock down your door to the poor and needy, just as you would if it was Christ at the door.. or something like that. I think it was Romans.. I don't sound so holy any more! Anyway, its been on my mind... Any ideas? Do I give or do I just help the places I have set out to help? 

Anyway, there we go. Our crazy day in the rain, an Indian style hearse and a holy outburst. 
Church tomorrow! Looking forward to that. There is a church opposite the guesthouse that were practicing for tomorrow and they were singing 'One way Jesus' and 'Oh happy day'! It was so lovely to hear those songs! A little taste of home. Except imagine the lyrics sung in an Indian accent.. I'll leave you to make of that what you will! 

Hope you enjoyed yet another blog. Don't expect them to be as frequent when we start at the school and Freeset, I think our time will be far more limited then. But for now, keep praying, keep loving, keep smiling... Keep reading my blog!

Peace out! 
x


3 comments:

  1. Harriet - so great to hear you being so positive and yet so tender and touched by the poor. I know it is an almost impossible situation when faced with so much poverty and I sure don't have the answers. But what you can give is the love of Jesus, and I am sure you will be doing a lot of that. Of so much more value than any money or goods. Peter and John didn't give money when they went up to the temple and met the man who couldn't walk. They prayed for him and showed him the love of Jesus and that was of much greater value than anything else. Love you loads and praying for you often. Nana xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Harry
    I agree with your Nana! Glad you are settling in & looking forward to your next post.
    Lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Harriet,
    It is a tough one isn't it? Always giving a smile (and perhaps a kind word or a 'Namaste', when you can)is a great start.
    I think what you are doing is wonderful. Thank you Harriet.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete